Cantata 13 (Leonhardt)

Duccio di Buoninsegna, The Wedding at Cana, Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, Siena, 1308-11

Meine Seufzer, meine Tränen
My sighs, my tears
Cantata 13
BWV 13


Event: 2nd Sunday after Epiphany
1st Performance: January 20, 1726, Leipzig
Readings: Epistle: Romans 12: 6-16; Gospel: John 2: 1-11
Text: Georg Christian Lehms (Mvts. 1-2, 4-5); Johann Heermann (Mvt. 3); Paul Fleming (Mvt. 6)
Chorale Texts: Zion klagt mit Angst und Schmerzen In allen meinen Taten

Click to read brief commentaries by Simon Crouch for Classical Net, John Keillor for All Music, and Craig Smith for Emmanuel Music.

Performance by Boy Soprano: Walter Gampert (Soloist of the Tölzer Knabenchor); Alto: Paul Esswood; Tenor: Kurt Equiluz; Bass: Max van Egmond; Tölzer Knabenchor (Chorus Master: Gerhard Schmidt-Gaden) & King's College Choir Cambridge (Chorus Master: David Willcocks) / Leonhardt-Consort; Gustav Leonhardt conducting.

Click to hear the entire performance.

Click to hear Mvts 1-2, 3-4, 5-6

1) Aria [Tenor] Flauto dolce I/II, Oboe da caccia, Continuo

Meine Seufzer, meine Tränen
My sighs, my tears

Können nicht zu zählen sein.
cannot be counted.
Wenn sich täglich Wehmut findet
If sorrow is found everyday

Und der Jammer nicht verschwindet,
and lamentation never disappears,
Ach! so muss uns diese Pein
ah! then this pain must

Schon den Weg zum Tode bahnen.
already be leading us on the way to death.

2) Recitative [Alto] Continuo

Mein liebster Gott lässt mich annoch
My dearest God still leaves me

Vergebens rufen und mir in meinem Weinen
to cry in vain and for me in my weeping
Noch keinen Trost erscheinen.
still no comfort appears.
Die Stunde lässet sich
The hour may
Zwar wohl von ferne sehen.
indeed be seen far away in the distance,
Allein ich muss doch noch vergebens flehen.
but I must still beg for help in vain.

3) Chorale [Alto] Flauto dolce I/II e Oboe da caccia coll'Alto, Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo

Der Gott, der mir hat versprochen
God who has promised me

Seinen Beistand jederzeit,
his support at all times

Der lässt sich vergebens suchen
let himself be sought in vain

Jetzt in meiner Traurigkeit.
now in my sadness.
Ach! Will er denn für und für
Ah! will he then forever

Grausam zürnen über mir,
be grimly angry with me,
Kann und will er sich der Armen
on those who are poor can he and will he not

Itzt nicht wie vorhin erbarmen?
feel compassion now as before?


4) Recitative [Soprano] Continuo


Mein Kummer nimmet zu
My sorrow increases

Und raubt mir alle Ruh,
and robs me of all peace,
Mein Jammerkrug ist ganz mit Tränen angefüllet,
my cup of misery is completely filled with tears,
Und diese Not wird nicht gestillet,
and this distress will not be soothed

So mich ganz unempfindlich macht.
That makes me so insensitive.
Der Sorgen Kummernacht
The night of care and sorrow

Drückt mein beklemmtes Herz darnieder,
presses and weighs down on my heart,
Drum sing ich lauter Jammerlieder.
and so I sing only songs of sorrow.
Doch, Seele, nein,
But now my soul

Sei nur getrost in deiner Pein:
be consoled in your pain:
Gott kann den Wermutsaft
God can turn the taste of wormwood
gar leicht in Freudenwein verkehren
very easily into the wine of joy

Und dir alsdenn viel tausend Lust gewähren.
And grant you then many thousand joys.

5) Aria [Bass] Violino solo, Flauto dolce I/II all' unisono, Continuo

Ächzen und erbärmlich Weinen
Groaning and pitiful weeping

Hilft der Sorgen Krankheit nicht;
are no help to the sickness of care;
Aber wer gen Himmel siehet
but whoever looks towards heaven

Und sich da um Trost bemühet,
and strive to find comfort there
Dem kann leicht ein Freudenlicht
for that person easily can a light of joy

In der Trauerbrust erscheinen.
appear in his grieving breast.

6) Chorale [SATB] Flauto dolce I/II e Oboe e Violino I col Soprano, Violino II coll'Alto, Viola col Tenore, Continuo

So sei nun, Seele, deine
Then be now, my soul, true to yourself

Und traue dem alleine,
and trust alone in him

Der dich erschaffen hat;
who has created you

Es gehe, wie es gehe,
no matter what may happen

Dein Vater in der Höhe,
your father on high

Der weiß zu allen Sachen Rat.
knows what to counsel in all circumstances.


The German Text: http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~wfb/bach.html. The English Translation by Francis Browne: http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Intro.htm. All used with permission.