Cantata 82 (Schreier/Hendricks)

Anonymous Book of Hours, Presentation in the Temple, Koninklijke Bibliotheek, The Hague, 1490-1500

Ich habe genug
I
have enough
Cantata
82a
BWV 82a


Event: Solo Cantata (for Bass) for the Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary
1st Performance: (Solo Bass Version): February 2, 1727 - Leipzig; 2nd performance (Solo Soprano Version): February 2, 1731 - Leipzig
Readings: Epistle:
Malachi 3: 1-4; Gospel: Luke 2: 22-32
Text: Anon


Click to read brief commentaries by
Simon Crouch for Classical Net, James Leonard for All Music, Craig Smith for Emmanuel Music, and Carol Traupman-Carr for the Bach Choir Bethlehem.

Performance by Soprano: Barbara Hendricks; Flute: Eckhart Haupt; Kammerorchester Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach; Peter Schreier conducting. Recorded in July 1989 at Christuskirche, Berlin, Germany.

To listen, right-click here, then left-click on "Open in New window," then click "Play All," or choose desired track.

Then arrange windows to follow the text.

1) Aria [Soprano] Flute, Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo

Ich habe genug,
I have enough,
Ich habe den Heiland, das Hoffen der Frommen,
I have taken the saviour, the hope of the righteous,
Auf meine begierigen Arme genommen;
in my eager arms;
Ich habe genug!
I have enough!
Ich hab ihn erblickt,
I have caught sight of him,
Mein Glaube hat Jesum ans Herze gedrückt;
my faith has pressed Jesus to my heart;
Nun wünsch ich, noch heute mit Freuden
now I wish this very day joyfully

Von hinnen zu scheiden.
to depart from here.
Ich habe genug!
I have enough!

2) Recitative [Soprano] Continuo

Ich habe genug.
I have enough.
Mein Trost ist nur allein,

This alone is my consolation,
Dass Jesus mein und ich sein eigen möchte sein.
that Jesus might be mine and I his own.
Im Glauben halt ich ihn,
In faith I hold him

Da seh ich auch mit Simeon
as I see also with Simeon

Die Freude jenes Lebens schon.
the joy of the life to come already.
Laßt uns mit diesem Manne ziehn!
Let us go along with this man!
Ach! möchte mich von meines Leibes Ketten
Ah!how I wish that I might from the chains of the body

Der Herr erretten;
be delivered by the Lord;
Ach! wäre doch mein Abschied hier,
Ah! how I wish my departure were here,
Mit Freuden sagt ich, Welt, zu dir:
joyfully I would say to you, World:
Ich habe genug.
I have enough.

3) Aria [Soprano] Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo

Schlummert ein, ihr matten Augen,
Rest in sleep, you weary eyes,
Fallet sanft und selig zu!
close with peace and blessing!
Welt, ich bleibe nicht mehr hier,
World, I am staying here no longer,
Hab ich doch kein Teil an dir,
I have indeed no part in you

Das der Seele könnte taugen.
that could benefit my soul.
Hier muss ich das Elend bauen,
Here I have to cause misery to myself

Aber dort, dort werd ich schauen
but there, there I shall behold

Süßen Friede, stille Ruh.
sweet peace, calm rest.

4) Recitative [Soprano] Organo

Mein Gott! wann kömmt das schöne: Nun!
My God! When will come that beautiful: Now!
Da ich im Friede fahren werde
when I shall go in peace

Und in dem Sande kühler Erde
and in the sand of the cool earth

Und dort bei dir im Schoße ruhn?
And there in your bosom rest?
Der Abschied ist gemacht,
I have said my farewells,
Welt, gute Nacht!
World, goodnight!

5) Aria [Soprano] Flute, Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo

Ich freue mich auf meinen Tod,
I rejoice in my death,
Ach, hätt er sich schon eingefunden.
Ah! how I wish it had taken place already.
Da entkomm ich aller Not,
Then I shall escape from all the distress

Die mich noch auf der Welt gebunden.
that still binds me in the world.

The German Text: http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~wfb/bach.html. The English Translation by Francis Browne: http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Intro.htm. All used with permission.