Johann Sebastian Bach: Cantata 78 (Gardiner / Harnoncourt / Leusink / Richter / Thomas)

Alexander Master, Christ and the Leper, Koninklijke Bibliotheek, The Hague, c. 1430

Jesu, der du meine Seele
Jesus, by whom my soul
Cantata 78
BWV 78

Event: Chorale Cantata for 14th Sunday after Trinity
1st Performance: September 10, 1724,
Leipzig
Readings: Epistle:
Galatians 5: 16-24; Gospel: Luke 17: 11-19
Text:
Johann Rist (Mvts. 1, 7); Anon (Mvts. 2-6)
Chorale Text:
Jesu, der du meine Seele

Click to read brief commentaries by Simon Crouch for Classical Net, James Leonard for All Music, Craig Smith for Emmanuel Music and James Mincham.



_______________

Click to go to performances by Gardiner, Harnoncourt, Leusink and Richter.
_______________

Performance by Soprano: Catherine Bott; Counter-tenor: Daniel Taylor; Tenor: Jeffrey Thomas; Bass: William Sharp; American Bach Soloists (Choir and Orchestra); Jeffrey Thomas conducting; Recorded at St. Stephen's Church, Belvedere, CA, USA.

Click here, then click on track 8. Listen to the whole work or click on individual tracks: 8-14. It may be necessary to click on arrow and slide button on right. To avoid spoken announcement about the track or even an advertisement, click on the next track as soon as the previous one finishes

1 Chorus [S, A, T, B] Corno col Soprano, Flauto traverso, Oboe I/II, Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo
(Track 8)


Jesu, der du meine Seele
Jesus, by whom my soul 
Hast durch deinen bittern Tod
through your bitter death
Aus des Teufels finstern Höhle
from the devil's dark abyss 
Und der schweren Seelennot
and from heavy distress of soul 
Kräftiglich herausgerissen
has been mightily torn free
Und mich solches lassen wissen
and by whom I have been made to know this
Durch dein angenehmes Wort,
 through your kindly word, 
Sei doch itzt, o Gott, mein Hort! 
be still now, O God, my refuge!

2 Aria (Duet) [Soprano, Alto]
Violone, Continuo (Track 9)


Wir eilen mit schwachen, doch emsigen Schritten, 
We hurry with weak yet eager steps,
O Jesu, o Meister, zu helfen zu dir.
 O Jesus, O master, to you to help.
Du suchest die Kranken und Irrenden treulich.
You faithfully look for the sick and straying.
 Ach höre, wie wir
Ah hear, as we 
Die Stimmen erheben, um Hülfe zu bitten!
raise our voices to pray for help!
Es sei uns dein gnädiges Antlitz erfreulich!
May your gracious countenance give us joy!

3 Recitative [Tenor] Continuo (Track 10)

Ach! ich bin ein Kind der Sünden,
Ah! I am a child of sin, 
Ach! ich irre weit und breit.
Ah!I stray far and wide.
Der Sünden Aussatz, so an mir zu finden,
Sin's leprosy, which is found in me,
Verlässt mich nicht in dieser Sterblichkeit.
will not leave me in this mortal life. 
Mein Wille trachtet nur nach Bösen. 
My will strives only after evil. 
Der Geist zwar spricht: ach! wer wird mich erlösen?
My spirit indeed says:Ah! Who will set me free? 
Aber Fleisch und Blut zu zwingen
But to overcome flesh and blood
Und das Gute zu vollbringen,
and to carry out what is good
Ist über alle meine Kraft.
is beyond all my strength. 
Will ich den Schaden nicht verhehlen,
 Even though I would not hide my failings
So kann ich nicht, wie oft ich fehle, zählen.
I cannot count how often I fail.
Drum nehm ich nun der Sünden Schmerz und Pein
Therefore I now take the sorrow and pain of sin
Und meiner Sorgen Bürde,
and the burden of my cares
So mir sonst unerträglich würde,
that would otherwise be unbearable for me
Ich liefre sie dir, Jesu, seufzend ein.
And with sighs hand them over to you, Jesus.
Rechne nicht die Missetat,
Do not count my misdeeds
Die dich, Herr, erzürnet hat!
Which have angered you, Lord!

4 Aria [Tenor] Flauto traverso, Continuo (Track 11)

Das Blut, so meine Schuld durchstreicht, 
The blood that cancels out my guilt 
Macht mir das Herze wieder leicht
 makes my heart again light
Und spricht mich frei. 
and declares me free.
Ruft mich der Höllen Heer zum Streite,
If the hosts of hell call me to battle,
So stehet Jesus mir zur Seite,
then Jesus stands by my side,
Dass ich beherzt und sieghaft sei. 
so that I am encouraged and victorious.

5 Recitative [Bass] Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo (Track 12)

Die Wunden, Nägel, Kron und Grab, 
The wounds, nails, crown and grave,
Die Schläge, so man dort dem Heiland gab,
the blows that were there given to my Saviour,
 Sind ihm nunmehro Siegeszeichen
are now signs of his victory
Und können mir verneute Kräfte reichen.
and can give me renewed powers.
Wenn ein erschreckliches Gericht 
When a terrifying judgement
Den Fluch vor die Verdammten spricht,
pronounces a curse on the damned,
So kehrst du ihn in Segen.
you turn it into a blessing.
Mich kann kein Schmerz und keine Pein bewegen,
No sorrow and no pain can move me,
Weil sie mein Heiland kennt; 
because my Saviour knows them
Und da dein Herz vor mich in Liebe brennt,
and since yout heart burns with love for me
 So lege ich hinwieder
in turn lay down 
Das meine vor dich nieder.
What is mine before you.
Dies mein Herz, mit Leid vermenget,
This heart of mine, mixed with suffering,
So dein teures Blut besprenget, 
sprinkled with your precious blood, 
So am Kreuz vergossen ist,
that was shed on the cross
Geb ich dir, Herr Jesu Christ.
I give to you , Lord Jesus Christ.

6 Aria [Bass] Oboe I, Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo (Track 13)

Nun du wirst mein Gewissen stillen,
Now you will calm my conscience 
So wider mich um Rache schreit,
that cries against me for vengeance,
Ja, deine Treue wird's erfüllen,
yes, your faithfulness will fulfil it
Weil mir dein Wort die Hoffnung beut.
since your word offers me hope.
Wenn Christen an dich glauben,
If Christians believe in you,
Wird sie kein Feind in Ewigkeit 
no enemy in all eternity 
Aus deinen Händen rauben. 
Will steal them from your hands.

7 Chorale [S, A, T, B]
Flauto traverso in octava e Corno e Oboe I e Violino I col Soprano, Oboe II e Violino II coll'Alto, Viola col Tenore, Continuo (Track 14)

Herr, ich glaube, hilf mir Schwachen, 
Lord,I believe , help me in my weakness, 
Laß mich ja verzagen nicht;
let me not despair;
Du, du kannst mich stärker machen,
You, you can make me stronger,
Wenn mich Sünd und Tod anficht.
When sin and death assail me.
Deiner Güte will ich trauen, 
I shall trust in your goodness
Bis ich fröhlich werde schauen
until wth joy I shall behold 
Dich, Herr Jesu, nach dem Streit
you, Lord Jesus, after the battle
In der süßen Ewigkeit.
 in sweet eternity.


The German Text:
http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~wfb/bach.html. The English Translation is by Francis Browne: http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Intro.htm. Both used by permission.