Johann Sebastian Bach: Cantata 148

Illustrator of Petrus Comestor's 'Bible Historiale,' The Man with Dropsy and the Ox, Koninklijke Bibliotheek, 1372


Bringet dem Herrn Ehre seines Namens
Bring to the Lord the glory of his name



Event: 17th Sunday after Trinity
First Performance: September 19, 1723 ?
Readings: Ephesians 4: 1-6; Gospel: Luke 14: 1-11
Text: Psalm 29: 2 (Mvt. 1); Anon or Johann Heermann (Mvt. 6); after Christian Friedrich Henrici (Picander) (Mvts. 2-5)
Choral Text: Wo soll ich fliehen hin or Auf meinen lieben Gott
Possible Liturgical Use According to the Revised Common Lectionary: Year C: Proper 17 (22)


Click to read brief commentaries by Simon Crouch for Classical Net and James Leonard for All Music.

Cantata 148 performed by Alto: Paul Esswood; Tenor: Kurt Equiluz; Tölzer Knabenchor (Chorus Master: Gerhard Schmidt-Gaden) / Concentus Musicus Wien; Nikolaus Harnoncourt; conducting.



Cantata 148

To listen, click on underlined selections.


1) Chorus [S, A, T, B]
Tromba, Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo

Bringet dem Herrn Ehre seines Namens,
Bring to the Lord the glory of his name,
betet an den Herrn im heiligen Schmuck. (Psalm 29:2, 96 :8)
pray to the Lord in holy splendour.

2) Aria [Tenor]
Violino solo, Continuo

Ich eile, die Lehren
I hurry to hear
Des Lebens zu hören
the teaching of life
Und suche mit Freuden das heilige Haus.
and seek with joy the holy house.
Wie rufen so schöne
What a beautiful proclamation
Das frohe Getönein joyful sounds
Zum Lobe des Höchsten die Seligen aus!
the blessed make in praise of the Almighty!

3) Recitative [Alto]
Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo

So wie der Hirsch nach frischem Wasser schreit,
As a hart cries for fresh water,
So schrei ich, Gott, zu dir.
so do I cry, God, to you.
Denn alle meine Ruh
For all my peace
Ist niemand außer du.
is in no one but you.
Wie heilig und wie teuer
How holy and how precious
Ist, Höchster, deine Sabbatsfeier!
is, Almighty, your sabbath festival!
Da preis ich deine Macht
There I praise your power
In der Gemeine der Gerechten.
in the company of the righteous.
O! wenn die Kinder dieser Nacht
Oh! if only the children of this night
Die Lieblichkeit bedächten,
would think about the loveliness
Denn Gott wohnt selbst in mir.
for God himself dwells in me.

4) Aria [Alto]
Oboe d'amore I-III, Continuo

Mund und Herze steht dir offen,
My mouth and heart stand open to you,
Höchster, senke dich hinein!
Almighty, come down to me!
Ich in dich, und du in mich;
I in you and you in me;
Glaube, Liebe, Dulden, Hoffen
faith, love, endurance, hope
Soll mein Ruhebette sein.
will be the bed where I rest.

5) Recitative [Tenor]
Continuo

Remain also, my God, in me
Und gib mir deinen Geist,
and give mr your Spirit
Der mich nach deinem Wort regiere,
to rule me according to your Word
Dass ich so einen Wandel führe,
so that I may lead a way of life
Der dir gefällig heißt,
that is pleasing to you
Damit ich nach der Zeit
and thus after my lifetime
In deiner Herrlichkeit,
in your glory
Mein lieber Gott, mit dir
my dear God, with you
Den großen Sabbat möge halten.
I may keep the great Sabbath.

6) Chorale [S, A, T, B]
Continuo

Amen zu aller Stund
Amen at all hours
Sprech ich aus Herzensgrund;
I say from the depths of my heart;
Du wollest uns tun leiten,
may it be your will to guide us
Herr Christ, zu allen Zeiten,
Lord Christ, at all times,
Auf dass wir deinen Namen ewiglich preisen. Amen.
so that we may praise your name for ever. Amen.


The German Text: http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~wfb/bach.html. The English Translation is by Francis Browne: http://www.bach-cantatas.com/IndexTexts-Eng3-Note.htm. Both used by permission.