Cantata 139 (Leusink / Richter)

John Singleton Copley, The Tribute Money, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1782

Wohl dem, der sich auf seinen Gott
Happy is the man, who to his God

Cantata 139

BWV 139
Event: 23rd Sunday after TrinityFirst Performance: November 12, 1724, Leipzig
Readings: Epistle:
Philippians 3: 17-21; Gospel: Matthew 22: 15-22
Text: Johann Christoph Rube (Mvts. 1, 6); Anon (Mvts. 2-5)
Chorale Text:
Wohl dem, der sich auf seinen Gott Possible Liturgical Use According to the Revised Common Lectionary: Year A: Proper 24 (29)

Click to read brief commentaries by
Simon Crouch for Classical Net, James Leonard for All Music, Craig Smith for Emmanuel Music, James Mincham and Bach Cantata Guide.

______________

Performed by Boy Soprano: Alan Bergius (Soloist of the Tölzer Knabenchor); Alto: Paul Esswood; Tenor: Kurt Equiluz; Bass: Robert Holl; Tölzer Knabenchor (Chorus Master: Gerhard Schmidt-Gaden) / Concentus Musicus Wien; Nikolaus Harnoncourt conducting.

To listen to the entire work, right-click: Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; then left-click on "Open in New Window."
Arrange windows to follow text.
______________

Performance by Soprano: Ruth Holton; Alto: Sytse Buwalda; Tenor: Nico van der Meel; Bass: Bas Ramselaar; Holland Boys Choir / Netherlands Bach Collegium; Pieter Jan Leusink conducting. Recorded at St. Nicolas Church, Elburg, Holland.

To listen to the entire work, right-click here, then left-click on "Open in New Window."
Arrange windows to follow text.



_______________

Performance by Soprano: Edith Mathis; Contralto: Trudeliese Schmidt; Tenor: Peter Schreier; Bass: Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau; Münchener Bach-Chor / Münchener Bach-Orchester; Karl Richter conducting.


To listen to the entire work, right-click here, then left-click on "Open in New Window."
Arrange windows to follow text.



_______________

1) Chorus [S, A, T, B] Oboe d'amore I/II, Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo
Wohl dem, der sich auf seinen Gott
Happy is the man, who to his God
Recht kindlich kann verlassen!
can abandon himself just like a child!
Den mag gleich Sünde, Welt und Tod
Though he may at once by sin, the world and death
Und alle Teufel hassen,
and all the devils be hated,
So bleibt er dennoch wohlvergnügt,
he nevertheless remains well contented,
Wenn er nur Gott zum Freunde kriegt.
if only he gets God for his friend.

2) Aria [Tenor] Violino concertante, Continuo
Gott ist mein Freund; was hilft das Toben,
God is my friend; what use is all the raging

So wider mich ein Feind erhoben!
that an enemy has raised against me!

Ich bin getrost bei Neid und Haß.
I am consoled in the midst of envy and hate .

Ja, redet nur die Wahrheit spärlich,
Yes, though you speak the truth only rarely,

Seid immer falsch, was tut mir das?
though you are always false, what is that to me ?

Ihr Spötter seid mir ungefährlich.
You scoffers are to me no danger.


3) Recitative [Alto] Continuo
Der Heiland sendet ja die Seinen
The Saviour does send his people

Recht mitten in der Wölfe Wut.
in the very midst of raging wolves.Um ihn hat sich der Bösen RotteAround them the evil mob
Zum Schaden und zum Spotte
for harm and mockery

Mit List gestellt;
has gathered with cunning;

Doch da sein Mund so weisen Ausspruch tut,
however, since his mouth makes such wise utterances,

So schützt er mich auch vor der Welt.
he will then protect me also from the world.


4) Aria [Bass] Oboe d'amore, Violino, Corno
Das Unglück schlägt auf allen Seiten
From all sides misfortune wrapsUm mich ein zentnerschweres Band.around me a very heavy chain.Doch plötzlich erscheinet die helfende Hand.But suddenly appears his helping hand.Mir scheint des Trostes Licht von weiten;The light of comfort shines on me from afar;Da lern ich erst, daß Gott alleinthat's when I learn that God aloneDer Menschen bester Freund muß sein.must be the best friend of mankind.

5) Recitative [Soprano] Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo
Ja, trag ich gleich den größten Feind in mir,
Yes, no matter that I bear my greatest enemy within myself,

Die schwere Last der Sünden,
the heavy burden of my sins.
Mein Heiland läßt mich Ruhe finden.
My saviour will let me find inner peace.
Ich gebe Gott, was Gottes ist,
I give to God what belongs to God
Das Innerste der Seelen.
my innermost soul.
Will er sie nun erwählen,
If he is willing to choose it for his own,
So weicht der Sünden Schuld, so fällt des Satans List.
then the guilt of my sins grows less, the deceit of Satan falls away.

6) Chorale [S, A, T, B] Oboe d'amore I/II e Violino I col Soprano, Violino II coll'Alto, Viola col Tenore, Continuo
Dahero Trotz der Höllen Heer!
For this reason I defy the hosts of hell!

Trotz auch des Todes Rachen!
I defy also the jaws of death!
Trotz aller Welt! mich kann nicht mehr
I defy the whole world! No more can
Ihr Pochen traurig machen!
its blows make me sorrowful!
Gott ist mein Schutz, mein Hilf und Rat;
God is my protection, help and counsel;
Wohl dem, der Gott zum Freunde hat!
Happy is the man, who has God for his friend!
The German Text: http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~wfb/bach.html. The English Translation is by Francis Browne: http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Intro.htm. Both used by permission.